Saturday 10 October 2009

Kennet & Avon Canal

Paul's ride probably counts as more useful than mine as he took the route we'll all be taking on the 22nd!  I went for distance training - another 35-or-so mile ride from Hungerford to Reading along the Kennet & Avon Canal.

A really pleasant ride today.  The towpath is rough & ready as far as Newbury.  You then have to follow roads through Thatcham, which is really good as there are wide, smooth cycle paths to ride along.  The towpath east of Thatcham has been improved substantially, it is quite smooth and easy to ride.  I was able to use my road gears for most of this distance, and made good time.

Met a couple of Antipodeans on the way who very kindly gave me £20 for Help for Heroes.  They reckon Caversham to London usually takes them two days, just what I wanted to hear (NOT!)

Once I got to Reading I had to endure an afternoon of shopping, far more tiring than the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment